Thursday, July 24, 2008

Faun and Flora - Merlot




These are the Merlot labels, I really liked how the red turned out. The faun was not as much fun to draw as the nymph, mainly because my wife refused to let me put a penis on him. I personally feel that takes away from the illustration. Not that I wanted to over exaggerate it or anything, I just though "He's a male he got one, it's probably waggling around." But once again the double standard wins out. Female nudity alright, male nudity not alright. I did a series of sketches to get him right and it took me three tries. It was nice to complete these labels but in the end they ended up detracting from some other personal projects of mine, so I'm glad these are done and I can put them behind me.

Here is the write-up for the back label:

Our signature Merlot was created and aged by the infamous international Jewel thief Roberto Gillespinni. Where are my favourite jewels you ask? “Did I misplace them?.. Are the kids playing with them?”

No! Chances are at some point Roberto has let himself into your home and made off with your precious trinkets an stones.

Fret not dear wine drinker, your valuables have been put to good use. Once melted down to make golden beaver key chains, your precious jewellery is sold and used to import the rare Sauvignon Blanc grapes from the Ancient Forest, the location which only Roberto knows. It is in the Ancient Forest where the Nymphs and Fauns nurture these unique grapes to fruition with music and dance.

The flavour of Flora & Faun Merlot can be described as:

“Having a medium body with hints of berry, plum and currant with fleshy overtones.”

2 comments:

Adrian J.K. Shum, CGD said...

Penis waggling around or not, the wine labels were fantastic! I think we all had enough waggling (those in attendance) at your 'clothing-optional' wedding social... don't forget, you were allowed to have male nudity on the invites. ;)

James said...

As an artist I don't believe I should be restricted in any form or fashion.

Down with censorship!

Rise up my friends and we will fight the tyranny that will not let us display the undraped male/faun form!

Wait t'ill you guys see the flag.