Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kayak the 2nd

K36_CoverSmall

This is the latest issue of Kayak. It deals with Parks Canada and the various places around Canada you can go to experience History, be it National Historic Sites or National Parks. It was a very heavy deadline with a brand new editor. It was stressful and a lot of hard work but it was also a lot of fun. Nancy Payne the new editor was a pleasure to work with. and the quality of the work from the illustrators is great. I've made the effort in this issue to pump up the colour as I have been criticized for being a bit drab and earth tone based in my work. I will endeavor to be even brighter next issue.

The Cover of this Issue was Done by Mathieu Beaulieu a new comer to Kayak he hails from Quebec and I really like his style. He has very expressive work and fabulous use of colour. He is the first of my attempts to synthesize the cover art with interior art. Previous Kayaks including my first issue have had great covers that do not give any payoff in the interior of the magazine. Meaning if you buy the magazine for the cover image. When you open it up you will not find the story or the characters that were advertised there. I don't know about you but I find that very frustrating as a reader. So we have started implementing that as of this Issue.

Some of the other artists you will find in this issue are: Alex Diochon who is taking over comic book duties from former Gabe and Allie artist David Namisato. Alex's Style lends itself very well to Kayak and I look forward to collaborating with him on future projects. Remie Geoffroi is a Kayak powerhouse who has don many covers and interior Illustrations for Kayak over the years. He has done a great illustrated layout for the Martello Tower article in this issue. Winnipeger Justin Currie is back for our feature story about the Northwest Mounted Police. Dena Seiferling Did the Illustrated map in her beautiful traditional style. I will point out that I forgot to give her credit on the image and I will make sure that this is noted in the following issue sorry Dena. Finally Anthony Brennan does his thing with our History Mystery on the Fur Trade.

This is a super fun issue and I am proud that we turned it around in the time that we did. If you are interested in subscribing to Kayak CLICK HERE. If you are curious please go to McNally Robinson or any magazine vendor it should be on the rack. Also your local library should carry it, if they don't you can ask them to order it. This issue has been mailed to subscribers and will be available on the newsstand in April.

Until next time, keep fit and have fun.

No comments: