Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Home Brew at Last!

First Batch of Beer 1
Preparing to transfer the beer from the secondary

First Batch of Beer 2
Sterilizing the transfer tube

First Batch of Beer 3
Starting the transfer process to clear the sediment from the secondary.

First Batch of Beer 4
Bottling the tasty brew

First Batch of Beer 5
The finished product, a tasty brew ready for storage... and consumption.

I started Brewing my own beer recently.

My gorgeous and loving wife got me all the gear to brew the beer this last Christmas, but I was short bottles. This proved not to be much of a problem since I have two qualities I'm proud to brag about. Patience and a love of Grolsch. Some do not enjoy this brand of beer, but I do, and lucky for me because some 48 reusable pint bottles later I am now capable of storing my craft beer.

It takes about a month to sort out your brew but as I have discovered, it is worth the wait. My First Batch was an English Bitter kit from Coopers. It was a bit green when I first tasted it but it has sit for about two months now and has a fine flavour enjoyed by all who have tried it.

The exciting thing about home brewing is the variety of beers you can make and it not a bad way to save a few bucks. I've just got in touch with an old friend who is going to help me score some quality beer kits from the states that are otherwise unavailable to Canadians. I'm very excited to get me hands on Dead Ringer IPA produced by the company Northern Brewer.

I'm happy to help carry on my fathers legacy of home brewing. I've watched him make his own beer for about 20 years and I've always wanted to do it myself. Well now I have, and I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me. One of barley, hops and yeast.

Drink up fellow brewers, life is good.

3 comments:

Adrian J.K. Shum, CGD said...

Which reminds me... I've got some bottles that I've been saving for you!

James said...

Well Hot Damn! Bring 'em buy. No better excuse to come over and visit. That means I get to share my beer with you. Let's set it up.

D. Gillespie said...

Happy to say I have tried said home brew and it is indeed tasty.

Wish I could sit and have more with you all summer.

Miss you. We were shooting bows and arrows down the driveway today - big kids and little kids. Thanks for the supplies they are amazing.

love ya.