Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Movember

IMG_1803
IMG_1809
IMG_1820

So I've been participating in Movember.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with it here is a brief description to get you up to speed:

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in Canada and around the world. With their “Mo’s”, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men's health, specifically prostate cancer.

On Movember 1st, guys register at Movember.com with a clean-shaven face. For the rest of the month, these selfless and generous men, known as Mo Bros, groom, trim and wax their way into the annals of fine moustachery. Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo-growing efforts.

Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November. Through their actions and words, they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.

At the end of the month, Mo Bros and Mo Sistas celebrate their gallantry and valor by either throwing their own Movember party or attending one of the infamous Gala Partés held around the world by Movember, for Movember.

I've had a beard for 7 years and have never shaved off my mustache. But a good friend of mine convinced me to participate and so just before midnight on the 31st of October I went through a step by step process of removing my facial hair. A week prior I took off my beard and had been going with a Musketeer (mustache and lower lip hair) I then removed everything but a pencil mustache and then took it all off for the Full Monty.

On my cleanly shaven picture you might be able to see how red my upper lip is. Well apparently after 7 years the skin on your upper lip gets pretty sensitive. Let that be a warning to the adventurous souls who would shave off their face badgers.

I will post my mustache progress as the month moves along

If you wish to donate some money to help further the research done to combat prostate cancer please visit my mobro account here http://mobro.co/jamesgillespie

2 comments:

Doug said...

Good Stuff James. You look like a ginger Super Mario in the first picture. It's probably the hat.

James said...

Thanks. If you Super Mario Brothers in an irish accent it sounds pretty awesome.