Saturday, February 27, 2010

Captain Hook

James Hook

I posted about some small paintings I am working on. Here is the first of the original larger sketches the paintings are based on. I drew them in a beautiful James Jean sketchbook gifted to me by my good friend Adrian Shum. I picked up some mechanical pencils to go along with my sketchbook and it was the best decision I ever made. I mean the best decision other than marrying my wife. I don't know why I bother to write stuff like that, she doesn't even read my blog anyway. I guess cause she is just down-right awesome... more imaginary brownie points? That is not a rhetorical question, so leave your answers.

Back to Hook. This sketch turned out well as did all the others, I was on a roll that day. So the mechanical pencil I've been using is partially responsible for these images turning out. I have for years been carrying around a pencil sharpener and regular old pencils, I was a purist, no modern day doodads for yours truly. But the problem with pencil sharpeners is they dull and break your leads and regular pencils get smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller and so on, you get my drift. Needless to say I made the switch and I have not looked back.

I will post the rest of the original sketches over the next week. I may even colour them digitally to complement my oil painted mini versions. You never know. I hope that all you who enjoy my blog regularly, or if you don't keep returning for some masochistic reason are well.

Have a great weekend. Best of luck to all Canadian athletes at the Vancouver Olympics.

GO YOU GOOD THING!

1 comment:

Adrian J.K. Shum, CGD said...

Looking forward to seeing more awesomeness coming from this little project of yours... keep 'em coming!

P.S. You're definitely accumulating imaginary brownie points with posts like these. ;)